Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Writing Angles

As a novice writer I firstly write for the love of writing. First of all for me writing does not mean paying the bills. I do make a few dollars here and there and with tips and tales like the ones below my writing is always getting better and better.

1. Organization

If you are having a hard time finding the best way to organize the plans for your ideas then this is what you can try. Get a number of index cards and write down each main topic. Now decide what’s best for your readers and arrange the cards in an order that makes the most sense.

2. Wordiness

The great American writer Thomas Wolfe was famous not only for the quality of his prose but also for its quantity. He had a very hard time cutting excess words from his drafts. “Although I am able to criticize wordiness and over abundance in others,” Wolfe wrote to his editor Maxwell Perkins about his novel Look Homeward, Angel, “I am not able practically to criticize it in myself. The business of selection and revision is simply hell for me-my efforts to cut out 50 000 words may sometimes result in adding 75 000.” The first draft of Look Homeward, Angel came in at over 1000 pages. Wolfe and Perkins did a nice job editing, however, the edition I have is around 750 pages.

3. More Purposes

A specific piece of writing can have more than one purpose, and often does. A fable, for example, amuses its readers as it teaches a lesson.

4. Ghost Words

Ghost words are words that never existed until someone mistook an error for a word. For example, dord (meaning density) began life as an error made in transcribing a card that read: “D or d, meaning a capital D or a small d-for ‘density.’ “The word appeared in the 1934 edition of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, but it was eliminated from future editions.

5. Adjective Phrase

An adjective phrase is a prepositional phrase that functions as an adjective in a sentence. For example: The caption on the cartoon made them laugh. The adjective phrase “on the cartoon” describes the noun “caption.”

Looking around in any magazine, book or writing website you can find hundreds and hundreds of articles and tid bits like these. In the future I will be publishing many more articles of this sort. If you choose to use any of this advice then great. If not then at least enjoy reading.

Dale Mazurek

Dale is an expert on line writer. You can check out his on line affiliate program at http://stcajo.netsalaries.com or you can check out two of his very popular blogs at http://relationshiptidbits.blogspot.com/ and http://funtidbits.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Yanjiaren said...

I am avidly reading up on this blog. I want to take a course in journalism to help my hubby more with telly work once I build up my biz a bit I love writing and this is a great blog to learn from. You always tidy up my chaotic mind!

Cherryl said...

very interesting blog!

cherryl252 was here
twitter.com/cherrylaldave