Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Write Your Novel Step By Step (Part 11)

This is going to be the eleventh excerpt on writing your novel. I am going to try and put these editions out as quickly as I can but that is only when time allows. I love writing and that is what I am doing all the time. Am I a good writer? I don’t know. What I do know is that I am getting to be a better writer with every word I put on paper and you too can become a good writer. To write your novel just follow these steps that I am laying out and at the end you will have something that at least you are proud of.

51. Think The Ridiculous

Now this is going to seem like one of the stupidest things I say. But believe me it helps to write books and it helps to make them believable. How was your childhood? If it was bad I truly hope you turned out alright but guess what that bad childhood will help you write great books. Books are a great form of escape from reality. Now if your child hood haunts you then you can use your writing to escape from the bad memories and establish tons of new ones. Now this is going to be a lot tougher for those of you who had a great childhood but the same can still be accomplished. You’re just going to have to be more imaginative. Imagine what it would be like to live with an alcoholic mother, really live the part and then try writing and see what happens. I bet you will be surprised.

52. Working Together

You have heard about bringing your characters to life but now you have to make them interact with the other characters and it has to be real. You’re not going to have any scenes if you just have a bunch of characters walking around and not doing anything. You have to make them communicate. How you do this is by thinking about how you communicate. How you communicate with family, friends, co workers, pets and even enemies. Of course there’s always going to be different twists added but trust me this will work.

53. What A Reader Wants

You have to always be thinking of ways to create tension. The reader always wants more. You ask how do I do this? By asking questions. Why did? Who did? Was it?
The reader will keep reading to find the answers. Don’t worry if you put too many in at first. We will edit later and get rid of the ones that sound tacky.

54. You Have To Learn To Describe

Practice describing. How do you do that? With research. When you want to describe what a rose smells like you have to make sure the reader will smell it. This is how you research. Go to the library or use the internet and read true life books like gardening or flowering. These authors have truly mastered the skills of making their reader make their senses work just from the words on the page. Without description you may as well have stick men for characters.

55. Wording

I can’t even begin to explain how important the uses of words are. Making sure you use the right words at the right time but yet making sure you don’t use too many. Using verbs are the heart to your story. Without the proper amount of verbs you are going to flop. If a sentence looks weird read it out loud and see what it sounds like. You will know immediately if you have the wording all wrong.

I know a lot of this seems like its going no where but trust me I write this from experience. Writing a book is no easy task. I wish someone would have helped me out like this when I first started writing. I will tell you one thing. Now this relates to me and it could to you but you have to want it to. No matter how hard the writing got I never disliked it. I still love writing and maybe this is a pipe dream but I hope to be able to retire and live totally off the money I earn from writing. Okay this is the end of lesson 11. I hope you are enjoying it so far. I also hope you are taking advantage of the opportunity to print this out because if all goes well I will make this into an e book so take advantage of it free.

Dale Mazurek

Dale is presently in the process of getting his first novel published. He has also started dabbling in short stories. You can find some of these on his blog at http://stcajo-readshortstories.blogspot.com/ and lastly he deals a little in the affiliate marketing gig which can be checked out at http://affiliatemarketingfornewbies.blogspot.com/

In writing my novel I learnt a lot of things the hard way so I just wanted to put this series out there for would be writers to help them on their path to writing their own book.

No comments: