Monday, March 5, 2007

Write Your Novel Step By Step (Part 9)

This is going to be the ninth excerpt on writing your novel. I am going to try and put these editions out as quickly as I can but that is only when time allows. I love writing and that is what I am doing all the time. Am I a good writer? I don’t know. What I do know is that I am getting to be a better writer with every word I put on paper and you too can become a good writer. To write your novel just follow these steps that I am laying out and at the end you will have something that at least you are proud of.

41. Thought Writing

Of course you can’t sit at your desk 14 hours of the day to write your book. Especially since this is your first novel and you probably have a day job or you have to take care of kids or something like that. This is what I do when I can’t sit down and write. I think write. I think about my book all the time. Some may think this is boring but it’s actually quite exciting when you come up with some good lines and ideas. What think writing does is make fewer drafts possible. You mark my words the more think writing you do when you can’t sit down the less editing you will have to do.

42. Grow Your Character

You need your character to become real life. You ask how do I do that? First of all you have to give action to your character. Even though a book is words in order to make it successful you have to make your readers see things through your words. And secondly the more you make them see the more you’re going to make them believe. If you can your readers believing in your characters then you’re going to have them believe they are right in the middle of the story.

43. Story Kidnapping

What does this mean? It means you want to get your readers attention in the very first ten seconds of your story and you never want to let him go. You want to keep him for the entirety of your book. You don’t want them to go back to their family or friends and the only way you will allow them to leave is by finishing your book. You better make your novel interesting or your kidnapping career will be very short.

44. Rejection Is Cool

Don’t sweat a rejection because if you do any amount of writing you damn well better get used to rejection. Rejection doesn’t necessarily mean your work is bad. It could get rejected for any number of reasons. Maybe it doesn’t meet guidelines; maybe the publisher isn’t accepting anything new right now. The best thing is getting a rejection with comments. Firstly that means someone pretty important and high up read your book and you can use the comments to fix anything that may need to be fixed.

45. Garbage

If you’re going to add things to your story then make sure they belong. Everything should have a place. I can’t stand it when I read gibberish that was only put in for one reason and that reason was to make the story longer. Trust me your reader would rather read a shorter book then have to read garbage and there only going to put up with so much garbage.

I know a lot of this seems like its going no where but trust me I write this from experience. Writing a book is no easy task. I wish someone would have helped me out like this when I first started writing. I will tell you one thing. Now this relates to me and it could to you but you have to want it to. No matter how hard the writing got I never disliked it. I still love writing and maybe this is a pipe dream but I hope to be able to retire and live totally off the money I earn from writing. Okay this is the end of lesson 9. I hope you are enjoying it so far. I also hope you are taking advantage of the opportunity to print this out because if all goes well I will make this into an e book so take advantage of it free.

Dale Mazurek

Dale is presently in the process of getting his first novel published. He has also started dabbling in short stories. You can find some of these on his blog at http://stcajo-readshortstories.blogspot.com/ and lastly he deals a little in the affiliate marketing gig which can be checked out at http://affiliatemarketingfornewbies.blogspot.com/

In writing my novel I learnt a lot of things the hard way so I just wanted to put this series out there for would be writers to help them on their path to writing their own book.

No comments: