Saturday, March 10, 2007

Write Your Novel Step By Step (Part 13)

This is going to be the thirteenth excerpt on writing your novel. I am going to try and put these editions out as quickly as I can but that is only when time allows. I love writing and that is what I am doing all the time. Am I a good writer? I don’t know. What I do know is that I am getting to be a better writer with every word I put on paper and you too can become a good writer. To write your novel just follow these steps that I am laying out and at the end you will have something that at least you are proud of.

61. Time To Read

Okay is this thing you have written a novel. You may have about 300 pages done but does it look like something somebody would want to read. Are all the pieces there and by that I mean three main pieces. The beginning, the middle and the end. So now that you have read it does it look like you have asked the question and then answered it? If you think you have done this then it’s time to move on to the next step.

62. Vital Importance

There is no better way to turn off a reader, publisher or editor then having to read a book that is full of spelling errors. Many a book has been lost for this exact reason. First of all it makes you look very sloppy as an author, it makes you look like you don’t care and it puts you on the lowest class of a writer. Long time ago when there were no computers this was a daunting task but now with spell checker this process has become very easy so you even look lazier if your submission comes in full of spelling errors.

63. Ink And Paper

Now you have to make sure you have a bundle of paper and a couple cartridges of ink. The time has finally come to print out your first nook. Of course this is the first printing. The unedited version but when those papers are rattling off your printer tray it still gives you a huge sense of accomplishment. Let me tell you the first time I printed my book I was like a kid in a candy store waiting for each page to come through so I could pile them nice and neat.

64. Did I Write A Book

What you want to do is find a nice safe place for your newly printed book. You want to put it there and forget you ever wrote it. That’s right I want you to leave it alone for a few weeks. I don’t want you to look at it, feel it, read it or even think about it. It is of the greatest importance that you try and clear your mind and forget that you even wrote the darn thing.

65. This Is Tough

You have now been away for a while and now it’s time to come back and start editing. Let me tell you this is probably the most frequent time that would be authors give up on their books. Editing your book is as tough as it gets. This really distinguishes the fact of do you really like writing or is it your utmost passion. I read my book 15 times cover to cover before I finally said to myself that this can’t get any better.

I know a lot of this seems like it’s going nowhere but trust me I write this from experience. Writing a book is no easy task. I wish someone would have helped me out like this when I first started writing. I will tell you one thing. Now this relates to me and it could to you but you have to want it to. No matter how hard the writing got I never disliked it. I still love writing and maybe this is a pipe dream but I hope to be able to retire and live totally off the money I earn from writing. Okay this is the end of lesson 13. I hope you are enjoying it so far. I also hope you are taking advantage of the opportunity to print this out because if all goes well I will make this into an e book so take advantage of it free.

Dale Mazurek

Dale is presently in the process of getting his first novel published. He has also started dabbling in short stories. You can find some of these on his blog at http://stcajo-readshortstories.blogspot.com/ and lastly he deals a little in the affiliate marketing gig which can be checked out at http://affiliatemarketingfornewbies.blogspot.com/

In writing my novel I learnt a lot of things the hard way so I just wanted to put this series out there for would be writers to help them on their path to writing their own book.

No comments: